“Ok so what?! We are human and they are animals.”

Recommended Viewing:


Philip Wollen’s Speech



  • 50 to 90 Billion farm animals are slaughtered every year worldwide. Numbers vary depending on source. But it’s at least 50 Billion.
  • That’s 150 Million every day. 4.5 Billion a month. 50 Billion a year. (This is not including the 1–2 Trillion fish we kill annually).
  • 50% of that 50 Billion come from “Factory Farms” or Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs). The exact data is difficult to obtain but most sources indicate it’s considerably higher than 50% and all sources indicate the number is steadily increasing.
  • Standard legal practices on “small” or “family” farms even in developed nations including America still allow for conditions that can be described as torture by any definition of the word. Dairy farms are arguably worse than meat production operations.
  • Conclusion: At minimum, there are tens of billions of animals at any given time that are being systematically tortured in conditions you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy. This is happening every day all day around the world from America to China to Australia.


  • Information provided by governments and industry are often focused on metrics like the weight of meat produced/consumed. Getting specific numbers on the individual lives that were slaughtered or tortured is difficult to compile for various reasons including deliberate obfuscation by various stakeholders.
  • Numbers from sympathetic sources can also be misleading and then re-quoted. For example a random HuffPo article said that 99% of our animal products come from Factory Farms which was then cited by others as fact. This statistic isn’t correct. The are lots of small farms across America that account for about 90% of all farms in the U.S. However, the remaining 5–10% of Factory Farms account for at least 50% of the animal products we eat. The numbers are higher depending on the animal. So any stat needs to be cross-referenced and fact checked, which is what I spend most of my free time doing. Below are some reliable sources for those who want to journey into the disturbing abyss.
  • The vast majority of the animals we eat are chickens and fish. Since they are considered smaller (and dumber/less significant by many) they arguably get treated the worst (except female pigs in my opinion). But I urge you to remember that these are complex beings that feel pain and suffer immensely.
  • For reference to my human being comparison: There are 108 Billion humans who have ever lived, 1 Billion of which died in all wars combined. This number is an estimate used by various sources, that’s why I like to multiply it by at least 5x just in case, which is still less than the amount of animals that are tortured and slaughtered every couple months. What has happened over the last century is in another stratosphere of suffering that just can’t be compared to anything else.



  • There is 19 million square miles of agriculture lands (all animal and plant land use)
  • 12 million square miles are used for farming crops:
  • 50% or 6 million square miles for Human Crops
  • 35% or 4 million square miles for Animal Crops
  • Livestock takes up nearly 80% of global agricultural land, yet produces less than 20% of the world’s supply of calories


  • It takes 3x (minimum) the resources to get the equivalent output per calorie or gram of protein from animals vs. plants. Typically it is upwards of 8x or even more depending on what resource (land, water, energy, type of animal etc.) and the context of that resource (Country/location and various other factors).
  • For example, it takes about 100 calories of grain to produce just 12 calories of chicken or 3 calories worth of beef.



Protein Info (debunking myths)


*ANIMAL LOVERS: My latest piece for the prestigious non-authorized viral video spinoff site, “NowWhat!”

A documentary film production company founded by Jordan Ehrlich

Love podcasts or audiobooks? Learn on the go with our new app.

Recommended from Medium

PDF @ FULL BOOK @ The Weekday Vegetarians: 100 Recipes and a Real-Life Plan for Eating Less Meat: A…

Best way to take advantage of restaurants and services that offer free delivery options during…

Healthy Apple Cinnamon Bread

Meet The New Kids on the Block: “Artisan” Tea and 3rd Wave Coffee

Chronicles of Whistling Duck Cottage

Going back to the roots: Why hyperlocalism is the way forward

A Lunch and a Show

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store
CaveLight Films

CaveLight Films

A documentary film production company founded by Jordan Ehrlich

More from Medium

4 effective ways to help abandoned pets in your area

The Perfect Two Day Itinerary At Zion

Corner Lots Baseball

Alexa, clear my calendar